play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Atlantic 195 Atlantic 195

News

Here’s what would happen if Queen Elizabeth were too ill to carry out her duties.

todayFebruary 20, 2022

Background
share close

After the news of Queen Elizabeth’s positive coronavirus test on Sunday, people expressed concern about the health of the extremely popular sovereign, as well as about the future of the monarchy, which has been struggling with scandals major and minor.

According to Buckingham Palace, if the queen needs to suspend her official duties because of illness or because she is abroad, two or more counselors of state can act on her behalf.

These counselors include the sovereign’s spouse — which does not apply to the queen, as her husband, Prince Philip, died last year — and the next four people in the line of succession, who are appointed when they turn 21. The four counselors are currently Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Prince William and Prince Harry.

But royal experts say that among them, only Prince Charles and Prince William were likely to take up some responsibilities.

Prince Andrew was stripped of public duties and military titles after a lawsuit accusing him of sexual assault was allowed to proceed. He has since settled.

Peter Hunt, a formal royal correspondent for the BBC, wrote on Twitter that the “public won’t stomach Prince Andrew stepping up.”

And Prince Harry is not in Britain, having moved his family to California.

Victoria Howard, a royal expert and the founder of the news website The Crown Chronicles, said that Harry “is having his own issue,” with his and his family’s security. “I think he wouldn’t come back,” she said.

This past week, London’s Metropolitan Police announced an investigation into a charity led by Prince Charles. He has denied any knowledge of the alleged crimes and Ms. Howard said that unless the police discovered any awareness or crime, the investigation would not hamper his ability to perform royal duties.

After the announcement of the queen’s infection, Buckingham Palace issued a series of reassurances about her health and ability to work. The palace said in a statement that she was experiencing only mild symptoms and was going to “continue light duties.” Shortly after the announcement of the positive test, the palace said that the queen had sent a congratulatory message to the British curling teams, after the women’s team secured a gold medal and the men took silver at the Winter Olympics in Beijing.

Despite the encouraging signs, the coronavirus infection added new concerns about the health of the queen, who is 95 and recently celebrated the 70th anniversary of her accession to the throne.

Appearing with a cane this week, she joked with visitors about her impeded movement.

Robert Jobson, a royal biographer, said he was confident that no replacement would be necessary for the queen because Buckingham Palace said she had only mild symptoms. If her situation were serious, he said, “they would have just said she had contracted Covid.”

But he added that given her age, some worries remained.

“If any 95-year-old, nearly 96, contracts Covid,” Mr. Jobson said, “it’s a cause of some concern.”

Original story from https://www.nytimes.com

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

News

Coronavirus Latest figures

Coronavirus - Vaccinations and latest figures A further 74 people have died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19, bringing the total to 160,581, the Government said. These figures now include deaths in England following possible reinfections of Covid-19. Separate figures published by the Office for National Statistics show there have been 183,000 deaths registered in the UK where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate. There were 25,696 […]

todayFebruary 20, 2022 1


Similar posts

News

Wealthy Russian businessman arrested in London on suspicion of multiple offenses

CNN  —  A wealthy Russian businessman has been arrested as part of a “major operation” on suspicion of multiple offenses, the United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency said in a statement Saturday. The 58-year-old man was arrested Thursday at his “multi-million-pound residence in London by officers from the NCA’s Combatting Kleptocracy […]

todayDecember 4, 2022 1


0%