play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Atlantic 195 Atlantic 195

News

Netherlands Is Maxing Out Its Covid Testing Capacity

todayNovember 17, 2021 1

Background
share close

Soaring demand for Covid testing in the Netherlands, combined with a shortage of workers to book them, is pushing the limits of the country’s health services, officials have said.

In a statement on Tuesday, the association of regional health services in the Netherlands called the increase in demand for new testing appointments “explosive,” adding that it was taking the approach of “all hands on deck.”

Officials said that they aimed to reach up to 120,000 tests a day, depending on workers’ availability. On Monday, at least 116,000 new appointments were scheduled and 91,000 people were tested — new daily records — according to Jaap Eikelboom, a Covid program director for the health service association.

“We are reaching the maximum of our capacity on all sides,” he said.

Virus cases have been rising in the Netherlands, with more than 110,000 people testing positive over the past week, an increase of almost 44 percent compared with the week before, according to official figures. Last week, the government announced a national partial lockdown for three weeks, including limited operating hours for restaurants, bars and shops.

It is also now largely impossible to book most Covid testing appointments online because of the high demand, the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant reported, saying that there was only one place in the Netherlands — in the southern province of Zeeland — where people were able to do so.

Speaking at a news conference this month, Prime Minister Mark Rutte hailed the importance of testing to stop the spread of the virus, even for people who are vaccinated.

“Stay home if you have symptoms, and get tested,” he said.

Original story from https://www.nytimes.com

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

News

Roger Federer out of Australian Open and unlikely to be fit for Wimbledon

He is recovering from a series of knee operations Roger Federer has confirmed he will not feature in next year’s Australian Open – and says he would be “extremely surprised” if he plays at Wimbledon. In an interview with Swiss publication Le Matin, the 40-year-old added that he does not anticipate returning to competition until next summer. The 20-time grand slam winner is recovering from a series of knee operations. […]

todayNovember 17, 2021 1


0%