play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Atlantic 195 Atlantic 195

News

Texas Hostage Taker Was Known to British Intelligence

todayJanuary 18, 2022

Background
share close

LONDON — The British man who took four people hostage at a Texas synagogue over the weekend before being killed was known to British intelligence services, according to a U.S. official and British news media reports.

The man, whom the F.B.I. identified as Malik Faisal Akram, 44, had been on the watch list of Britain’s MI5 security service as a “subject of interest” in 2020, according to an American official briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing.

But by the time he flew to the United States, he had been deemed to no longer be a risk, the BBC reported on Tuesday. The Guardian, citing government sources, reported that the investigation had taken place in the second half of 2020 and had been a midlevel one.

Mr. Akram, originally from the northern British town of Blackburn, had arrived in the United States just before the New Year, but much is still unknown about why he targeted the Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, during a Saturday morning service. Britain’s Home Office declined to comment on the case or confirm the BBC report.

Gulbar Akram, Mr. Akram’s brother, has described his sibling as mentally unwell and said he also had a criminal past and was known to the British police. He questioned how his brother had been allowed to enter the United States.

President Biden on Sunday called the attack an act of terrorism, and Liz Truss, Britain’s foreign secretary, said that Britain condemned the “act of terrorism and anti-semitism.”

Megan Specia reported from London, and Eileen Sullivan from Washington. Aina J. Khan contributed reporting from Bradford, England.

Original story from https://www.nytimes.com

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

News

Johnsons public apology to Queen over No 10 parties on eve of Philips funeral

Boris Johnson has publicly apologised to the Queen and the country over events in Downing Street on the eve of the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral. Two parties were held in No 10 at a time of national mourning and with England under restrictions banning indoor mixing of households. The Prime Minister, who was at Chequers at the time of the parties in April 2021, appeared emotional when he was asked […]

todayJanuary 18, 2022


0%