Mr. Boyko, 40, says he lost one of his volunteers, Roman Sementsov, in the Kraamtorsk attack. In a Facebook post on Friday he praised Mr. Sementsov for helping thousands of people find safety.
Mr. Boyko says he believes that Russia intentionally targeted the station, since it had served as an evacuation hub since the start of the invasion. But the number of casualties could have been much worse, he added, noting that many trains had been canceled on the day of the attack due to railway damage from a Russian missile strike the night before.
“It was a happy coincidence that they were not functioning properly,” he said. Two train stations are still operational in the Donetsk region — in the towns of Sloviansk and Pokrovsk — but residents have become wary of gathering in stations since the attack, he said.
Since Friday, Mr. Boyko says he has been inundated with calls from people hoping to volunteer and help with evacuations. He estimated that he’d received close to 70 requests on Sunday alone from drivers who would be ready to start shuttling on Monday.
“Every day the number is increasing,” he said. “These are ordinary people, coming from all over Ukraine, who just want to help.”